12/20/2011

KEEPING IT LOOSE






In the entertainment industry like film, TV series and so on a lot of design is required. This process is usually done by the concept artist, and they design vehicles, characters, environments, and even they give great ideas for the mood and lighting of the product. Most of the time they use their painting skills but also they use 3D and real references from the real world like pictures that they tweak later. The work they do is super fast and always they are ready for the client to make changes of the product. They even work on different versions of the same product so the client can choose different options or combine different elements into one final result.
But the main point of them is not to render a great image and so beautiful looking, but just rough the idea and make it look good enough to be presented to the client, since there might be the possibility of more changes.
Some things I learned from great concept artists such as Feng Zhu is to try to keep the paintings loose and not go crazy with the details and work on the general idea, use real photographs and apply them as a texture but without being 100% accurate and also how important is to have a good balanced composition a good use of light and silhouettes.

I'd never consider myself a concept artist because I don't have the capacity of designing new things and my painting skills are very low since I'm a beginner but I do love they work and techniques they use and I like to try to mimic them just for fun.
Now at Lost Boys we are working on our UFO project, so to get into the mood I decided to paint digitally a couple of sci-fi scenes and even though are not perfect I'm pretty happy with them.
I never thought I could paint something like this and it;s actually possible with a lot of practicing. And specially, with websites like Feng's blog
http://fengzhudesign.blogspot.com/ 
with tons of free amazing tutorials helps a lot to create images like this.
So I want to say thanks to all the people that likes to share their knowledge! 
They are really great and get all my respect.


You can check more paintings in the 2D Artworks section

You can check more paintings in the 2D Artworks section

You can check more paintings in the 2D Artworks section


No comments:

Post a Comment